Manchester Wesley Research Centre
The Manchester Wesley Research Centre (MWRC) is a collaborative partnership among institutions and a community of scholars dedicated to advancing research within the Methodist, Wesleyan, Evangelical, Holiness, and Pentecostal traditions. It serves as a valuable resource for students, scholars, and the church, particularly those affiliated with MWRC partner institutions. MWRC promotes and supports research on various aspects, including the life and work of John and Charles Wesley, their contemporaries during the 18th-century Evangelical Revival, their historical and theological predecessors, successors within the Methodist, Wesleyan, Evangelical, Holiness, and Pentecostal traditions, as well as contemporary scholarship relating to these traditions. The research areas encompass theology, history, biblical studies, education, ethics, literature, mission, philosophy, pastoral studies, practical theology, social theology, and interdisciplinary studies.
Situated on the campus of Nazarene Theological College in Didsbury, a Manchester suburb, MWRC is affiliated with the Methodist Archives, housed at The John Rylands Research Institute and Library. These research centers provide extensive resources for students and researchers in this field.
It is important to note that MWRC itself does not grant degrees or accept applications from prospective research students.
The activities of the Centre include:
- Showcasing the resources of MWRC and the Methodist Archives at The John Rylands Research Institute and Library.
- Supporting and attracting research students working on topics related to the Centre's purpose at The University of Manchester and its partner institutions.
- Providing Visiting Fellows and scholars from partner institutions with opportunities to conduct research in areas linked to the Centre's purpose.
- Facilitating connections among scholars from partner institutions.
- Offering study space and serving as a hub for research students and scholars seeking to utilize the available resources in Manchester.
- Facilitating the dissemination of research conducted by scholars affiliated with the Centre and promoting other scholarship in Methodist/Wesleyan studies through various means, such as publication in Wesley and Methodist Studies.
- Developing, overseeing, and coordinating significant scholarly events to enrich the Centre's work and share the outcomes of MWRC research.
Yes, this infrastructure provides funding in the following categories:
- Funded fellowships
- Funded internships
On the map
University of Manchester
The Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History (OCMCH) promotes historic links between Oxford Brookes University and the Methodist Church through archives, artworks, publications and research. The… read more about Oxford Centre for Methodism and Church History (OCMCH)
Westminster Institute Of Education
Harcourt Hill Campus