Royal Historical Society
Founded in 1868, the Royal Historical Society (RHS) is a successful learned society, membership organisation and charity with a 150 year history. Today, the RHS is the UK’s foremost society working for history and historians.
In 2023 over 6000 historians belong and contribute to the Society — as fellows and members active in the UK and worldwide. This makes the RHS the UK’s largest membership organisation for historians of all kinds, and from all walks of life — held in high regard by historians internationally, and a partner to many similar organisations overseas.
These national and international connections are led by the historians who make up the RHS Council (Trustees), supported by a small central team based at University College London, which is the home of the Society.
The Society’s remit covers the following principal areas:
- policy work relating to academic research, education and teaching
- advocacy and intervention in debates about the study of history and promotion of the historical profession
- publishing of a journal, primary source collections, book series, online resources, and scholarly communications relating to the discipline
- academic events showcasing new research, including an annual lecture programme
- research and skills training and professional engagement, with a focus on all career stages
- a grants and fellowships programme, to support innovation in historical research and teaching by historians at all career stages within and outside Higher Education
- prizes and awards, to recognise excellent work by early career historians
- provision of a research Library and Archive, based at UCL, with particular strengths in the development of the modern historical profession in the UK.
In late 2021 the Society revised and extended its membership categories to engage with a wider membership from sectors beyond Higher Education. Researchers and those working in history are welcome to join the RHS as Fellows and Members, with applications welcome at anytime.
Yes, this infrastructure provides funding in the following categories:
- Funded fellowships
- Unfunded fellowships
On the map